What is the status of the march?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is the status of the march?

Post by samharris45 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:21 pm

As the proposed date for the event is drawing closer and closer, it is becoming a concern for me that little to no update has been added to this forum for such a long time.

I am now running the risk of not being able to attend as shifts at my place are already being moved around. It is imperative that I therefore book leave before its turns into a case of tough luck as this is what normally happens if leave is booked too late.

Therefore my questions to the organiser(s) are;

-Is this event still going ahead?
-what are the dates going to be?
-when will registration forms be going out?

If I do not hear soon about this event I will personally have no choice but to drop out of coming.

Many thanks

Sam
samharris45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is the status of the march?

Post by Rich888 on Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:35 pm

Just wanted to add that whilst I do appreciate all the hard work that it takes to organise these sorts of events and that it is done on a voluntary basis I to feel if we are going to carry this through we should be laying down some concrete plans by now. All I can say is I am still very keen to go and am happy to help with the organisation in any way I can but if this event is off I for one will not think any the worse of the organisers but please can we know for certain either way.

Cheers

Rich

Rich888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:40 pm

It's all a go, I'm waiting on the possibility of getting us back in an authentic manner from Dunkirk before the final details go out
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://dunkirk2015march.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by TubbyBinns on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:33 pm

Hello Jon,

What would be the dates we are looking at to tie in with that?

Our other overall question was what events we would be looking to tie in with as they do not all line up as nicely as they have done in past years...

I think you should just pop a trip proposal out there as you see fit Jonno... As in what you consider to be the best compromise on events....
TubbyBinns

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:19 pm

Hello All,

I'm going to give it to the end of the month with the authentic return Channel crossing and then we'll plan to come back as normal and if it comes off, we'll modify the plans later.

I'm still optimistic , I had another message about it only today, but I think we need to plan to get ourselves back now and then if we get picked up authentically from Dunkirk, so much the better.

The general consensus is to go to fit in with the official commemorations. Strange year this, there has never been any kind of "split before "

Therefore, the out line plan is fairly standard

1) Dates : 20th May to 25th May 2015 to coincide with the official commemorations
2) Transport : Mini bus - which folds the trip into blocks of 15 men
3) Pick up/parking: pick ups available en route from S Wales, down M4, lower M25 and M20
parking : Ashford
4) RV point Ashford with equipment check
5) Ferry Dover- Dunkirk and return Dunkirk - Dover
6) Leave Dover Morning 20th May , exact time TBA
7) Route The usual, Bethune, Merville, Hazebrouck, Cassel, Wormhoudt, Warhem,
Dunkirk
Cool Sleeping Combat, as and when we stop, although I plan on the one armed woman
9) Food Bully beef, beans etc., as last time
10) Cost With drop in fuel prices, sure we can do it the same as last time so

£125

11) Application forms end of this month, Jan 2015 to give the week I've allowed the
boats

12) Payment cheque/paypal/pay me at Stoneleigh
13) Money back if it goes tits up for any reason, less anything proven spent, you
get it back
14) Non marchers i.e stop line at Wrahem, no ones really asked

Any qustions/commnets fire away
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich888 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:16 am

That sounds like a solid plan and I am happy with the revised dates. Great if we can get an authentic lift back but I agree lets just get some solid plans of our own in place, and then maybe adjust later if the lift back comes off.

I shall start digging out my kit along with the brasso and blanco and all importantly start braking in those new boots I have put aside for this Very Happy

Rich

Rich888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TubbyBinns on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:37 am

Speaking of which, Jonno, last time we used that shoe cream mix which was EXCELLENT for the correct shade of light pea green blanco...

Is that what is being done again this year?
TubbyBinns

View user profile

Back to top Go down

march

Post by deebo on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:11 am

also looking forward to this.will start to book dates off on Monday and hopefully get the time off.

tubbybinns I pm'ed you a few months ago re. some straps you had.ill resend if you haven't recieved

deebo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TubbyBinns on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:27 pm

I've just checked... Reply sent...

The bad thing about this forum is that I don't get any PM notifications... And you have to go to the classic site to check for them as they don't show on the mobile site!
TubbyBinns

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UKJustin on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:20 am

As for the shoe cream blanco it was Darren and myself who mixed that using different colours of cream, it was a complete pain in the ass, in fact by the time we'ed finished it end up costing us to make it. I do however have an answer, although it pains my to say it, Solider of Fortune do/ did a pea green blanco in a bottle. I have tried some on some webbing a couple of years back and it's a spot on match to the shoe cream we made. I think it's about £10 a bottle.

Also their 37 pattern gaitors, I used a pair of theirs on the last march, size 4, I did have to move the tabs to get the wright fit but the webbing fairly soft and I use a normal sewing machine with a denim needle.

I also had some of the Mk2 pouches altered last time, it maybe possible to do the same again if the lady at the local saddlery up for it.

Anyway, I hope this helps, any questions please do ask.

UKJustin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich888 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:37 am

Well I didn’t really want to bring up the dreaded B word but now the cats out of the bag.

My kit is blancoed using SOF pea green and I’m pretty happy with it but don’t mind, for the sake of conformity, giving it a go over with the shoe cream method if everyone else is leaning that way (I’ve used it before for my KG3 webbing and I’m more than happy with the results) but I don’t really want to go to all that effort if when I turn up on the day we still have mixture of shades of green.

In my experience if you start with fresh webbing you are going to need a minimum of 2 but more likely 3 bottles of SOF blanco to do a full set of kit as it take at least 2 coats to get the desired colour. It goes further if you water it down a bit and as it soaks in to the webbing better and it looks a little less like paint

Anyway an early definitive decision between SOF and Shoe Cream would be appreciated (I think they are the only two real options).

Cheers

Rich

Rich888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TubbyBinns on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:42 am

So apparently Kiddle was out of his blanco...

Any strong feelings from any of the lads about colour or supplier? It sounds to me like if SOF is the way forward someone needs to do an instruction post to show how to best apply it...

The shoe cream sound like a no go now...?
TubbyBinns

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by deebo on Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:21 am

apparently the person that makes steve kiddles is having tech issues making it.not sure if can rectify in time.

I think SOF would be a better option as easy access to everyone who needs it.although im happy to go with what ever method suits everyone.

also helmet colour,would "service brown" as used on vehicles be a close match.

and tubby was great to meet you yesterday and thanks for the advice

deebo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich on Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:02 am

Helmets seem to have been painted in 'service colour' as applied to vehicles. In 1939 /40, this was Khaki Green No.3 The problem is that the chromate compounds used to provide the green colouring were not stable and the finish went browner on exposure partly to light but mainly by oxidisation in air....and no-one really knows how quickly this happened....months ? years ?

It does mean that any helmets with original finish are likely to be browner than they were at the time....but any finished in modern paint will be too green if they are meant to be more than six months old...probably.
Rich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samharris45 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:00 pm

I also have used SOF blanco with good results but as stated it did take about 3 bottles on fresh webbing to do everything plus a large pack.

Thanks for confirming the dates, unfortunately though I can not get they time off due to short staffing on one of my shifts, which was a concern when I opened this thread.
samharris45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by deebo on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:11 am

that's a shame.

can someone PM me the paypal address and when it has to be paid by? please

deebo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich888 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:37 am

Rich

That’s very interesting to hear about the helmet paint being green but turning brown(ish) over time. I must admit I’ve not head that before and most comments I have read previously seem to have suggested service brown as the colour but it would explain the apparent confusion on the subject and the varying shades I have seen on genuine unrestored BEF period helmets. However it does raise the question of what colour are we going to paint our helmets?

The uniform regs for this event say satin/semi gloss but don’t state the colour.

Based on what I had previously heard/read and for want of knowing any better about the green/brown colour change I have previously painted my helmet satin service brown (BS318 499). Which I think looks a good compromise but I’m happy to repaint for the sake of uniformity if we can get a decision on colour/finish. It I would be great to get this (and the blanco question) sorted as soon as possible so as to give everyone plenty of time to get their kit in shape.

Rich

Rich888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:27 am

Rich, I'm not doing the march, simply hoping to visit, so don't have the need to conform in the same way. I painted my helmet using the same colour-matched Khaki-Green No. 3 as the motorcycle. When new, it is closest to 'Goose-Shit' green.

I spent quite a bit of time with Mike Starmer who has probably done more research (and published more corroborated work) than anyone else. He also has some early-war helmets. The oxidisation problem was a known factor but the original colour was troublesome to track down. Both helmets and 'New Old Stock' vehicle parts were quite brownish.

However, on my unrestored BEF motorcycle, there were areas inside the brownish on the outside wheel hubs which had been an air-tight chamber since being bolted together in 1939. This green is what I used as a basis for the khaki. Mine came out a little too shiny so there is a re-paint on the cards....

This is the colour matched to my unoxidised paint, with a cake of KG blanco on top. It's fairly close...but for the march of course, you're going to have to chose something that everybody can match. The great unknown, as I mentioned before, is just how quickly the paint turned brownish if exposed to the elements....maybe the helmets were different colours if they were made in 1938 / '39 / '40

Rich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TubbyBinns on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:35 pm

I think it's certainly likely that helmets were in different shades... Different paint batches (even if made to the same specification) on different batches of shells from a range of different providers...

I'd be using an original which isn't going to get a repaint... Mine certainly looks brownish...

It's certainly interesting on the colour change on the paint... I didn't know that...

A friend recently took apart his aero screen Bedford MW and found this brownish green colour between two parts which had never been disassembled...

We do have time so it's a case of a consensus... I think it's just a case of having an almost satin or semi gloss hue to the helmet, whatever colour it is...

If it's in its original paint and is smooth this may be obtainable merely by wiping it over with an oil soaked rag...

The emphasis here is on not having a load of Matt painted sand covered late war helmets...

Some units in the BEF including 1 Border actually painted camoflage on their helmets...

The piece in the regs about the helmet finish is a prompt... So do not overly worry about it. If we were all portraying the same unit then absolute uniformity would be more important.

The blanco colour is more important than this...
TubbyBinns

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vjenkin1 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:03 am

Sorry lads, but after much deliberation and consideration of finances involved, time off needed etc. I am not going to be able to make it this time around. I want to wish all of you the best of everything and all the luck in the world on the march. Take good care of your feet and I hope to see you all again, someday.

All the best,

Verne
vjenkin1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:42 am

Left it till as long as we can to save your pennys, but sadly, it's pay time, if you are going, can you paypal£ 125 - same as last time thanks to reduced fuel costs - to jonnylozzy@yahoo.co.uk

I'm away in the Czech Republic on the 70th anniversary event until 3 May
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blitzkrieg on Thu May 07, 2015 9:35 am

Hi Jon, I have sent you an email reference payment.
Cheers

Blitzkrieg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top